The name Woombye is derived from the Aboriginal word ‘wambai’ meaning axe handle which was made from black myrtle, a common tree in the area.
On Saturday 28th November, Masonic Brethren, their families & friends gathered in Woombye to celebrate the Re-Consecration of their Lodge that, by its very name indicates two distinctly different backgrounds and Histories and to better understand this we should go back to the beginning to where it all began.
The occupation of the Woombye District by European settlers dates back to 1842.
By 1860 pastoralists occupied the district and in 1863 the timber getters began removing cedar, beech and pine which was snigged to Eudlo Creek and rafted down to Maroochydore for shipment to Brisbane.
With the discovery of Gold at Gympie the Government of the day built a road joining Brisbane to Gympie in 1868 and as Woombye was exactly halfway between the two. Cobb and Co overnighted hear on the two day journey from Brisbane to Gympie which operated twice weekly carrying passengers and mail.
On the other hand Palmwoods which was originally known as Merriman’s Flat with the uncleared scrub containing tall palm trees that were felled and split for use as guttering.
In the 1870’s there was spasmodic farming around the area and in the 1880’s a wave of new farmers from Maroochy led to tree clearing the rich farm lands for fruit crops. The area was renamed Palmwoods in the 1890’s.
Waverley Lodge was consecrated on the 16th November, 1906 by Right Worshipful Brother Thomas Mylne (District Grand Master of Scotland), assisted by District Grand Officers. Waverley Lodge was entered on the Register of the United Grand Lodge of Scotland and appeared on its roll as number 1026. Once consecrated, Worshipful Brother JT Wilson had the honour of being installed as the first Worshipful Master.
In later years Waverley Lodge transferred from the previous Grand Lodge of Queensland to the United Grand Lodge of Queensland and appeared as number 170 upon its Register.
Palmwoods Lodge was consecrated on the 30th November, 1915 by Most Worshipful Brother Adolphus Hertzberg (Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Queensland), assisted by Grand Officers. Palmwoods Lodge was entered on the Register of the Grand Lodge of Queensland and appeared on its roll as number 68. Once consecrated, Worshipful Brother A. Bennett had the honour of being installed as the first Worshipful Master.
Palmwoods Lodge also transferred to the United Grand Lodge of Queensland and appeared as number 249 upon its Register.
Over the years both Waverley and Palmwoods Lodges have had a very close working relationship and with diminishing numbers it was decided that an amalgamation of the two Lodges would be the most mutually beneficial step. Therefore on 1st October, 1998 Waverley Lodge surrendered their warrant and Palmwoods Lodge was renamed Waverley Palmwoods Lodge. The Lodge retained the Roll number of 249 on the register of the United Grand Lodge of Queensland. The first Worshipful Master of the new Lodge was Worshipful Brother BR Black (AM).
During the Ceremony 2 members of Waverley Palmwoods Lodge were given their 50 Year Jewel which is in recognition of their having been a Member of the Masonic Fraternity for over 50 years & the Grand Master of Queensland also acknowledged their wives for the support which they had given their husbands throughout that time.
Lodge Secretary is Wor Bro Bill Niven, phone 0439 992 265 or
8 Hill Street, Woombye Qld. 4559